Top Tweets of 2017
With Donald Trump’s ascent to the presidency in January, more eyes than ever have been on his preferred platform for communication: Twitter. But the tweets that soared to the top ten on the platform in 2017, based on engagement (likes and retweets), were a surprising mix of political and light-hearted humor.
It may come as a surprise that Donald Trump doesn't have even one of the most popular tweets of the year. And while President Barack Obama had more than one of tweet that could have appeared on this list, we included only his most popular tweet. Here are Talkwalker’s top 10 tweets of 2017!
10. Bernie Sanders' tweet following the Women's March
President Trump, you made a big mistake. By trying to divide us up by race, religion, gender and nationality you actually brought us closer. pic.twitter.com/U7deCCTFx9
— Bernie Sanders (@SenSanders) January 21, 2017
9. Malala's tweet marking the beginning of her time at Oxford, five years after her attack
5 years ago, I was shot in an attempt to stop me from speaking out for girls' education. Today, I attend my first lectures at Oxford. pic.twitter.com/sXGnpU1KWQ
— Malala (@Malala) October 9, 2017
8. Tweet from J.K. Rowling on the 20th anniversary of the publishing of the first Harry Potter novel
20 years ago today a world that I had lived in alone was suddenly open to others. It's been wonderful. Thank you.#HarryPotter20
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) June 26, 2017
7. Michelle Obama's tweet celebrating 25 years of marriage
— Michelle Obama (@MichelleObama) October 3, 2017
6. Blake Lively's joke tweet saying happy birthday to her husband, Ryan Reynolds, with a photo of Ryan Gosling
Happy birthday, baby. pic.twitter.com/TysO4F620D
— Blake Lively (@blakelively) October 23, 2017
5. Tweet from LeBron James reacting to a controversy created by Donald Trump
U bum @StephenCurry30 already said he ain't going! So therefore ain't no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!
— LeBron James (@KingJames) September 23, 2017
4. Tweet from Linkin Park following the death of their singer, Chester Bennington
— LINKIN PARK (@linkinpark) July 20, 2017
3. Tweet from Ariana Grande following the attack at her concert in Manchester, England
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) May 23, 2017
2. A Wendy's Twitter bet to see if a fan could win a lifetime supply of chicken nuggets
HELP ME PLEASE. A MAN NEEDS HIS NUGGS pic.twitter.com/4SrfHmEMo3
— Carter Wilkerson (@carterjwm) April 6, 2017
1. Tweet from Barack Obama following the white supremacist rally and violence in Charlottesville, VA
"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion..." pic.twitter.com/InZ58zkoAm
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) August 13, 2017
The top tweets of the year were evenly split between political statements and more light-hearted matters, such as the Wendy's chicken nugget push.
In addition, while the activity of President Trump on Twitter often prevails in the news, there is clearly more going on in this platform beyond the President’s tweets. It is also interesting to note that Trump's followers don't engage with him to the same degree that President Obama’s followers do.
To learn more about how social media listening and analytics can help promote your brand, please request a free demo of Talkwalker.