40 amazing Facebook stats to inspire your campaigns
“I'm trying to make the world a more open place.”
Some students spend their time throwing back Jägerbombs; others launch the most successful social media network in the world!
Mark Zuckerberg and his Harvard roomies launched Facebook on February 4, 2004. Originally called Facemash, then Thefacebook, it was only open to Harvard students. In March 2004, it extended to universities of Columbia, Stanford, and Yale, eventually becoming available to most universities across the US and Canada.
September 26, 2006 - Facebook was opened to everyone who was over the age of 13 and had a valid email address.
Multi-billionaire, Mark Zuckerberg, earns $1 a year.
Mark Zuckerberg’s net worth is $64 Billion!
With a whopping 300 million photos uploaded per day and two billion monthly active users, it’s hard work getting the visibility and engagement on Facebook that you desperately want and need. To help - and cos it’s fun - we’ve scoured the Internet and found 40 thought-provoking, amusing, and powerful Facebook stats. They’re gonna help you improve the way you reach and communicate with consumers.
Any skeptics out there, these Facebook stats show the real value of using Facebook, and social media in general, to target consumers and increase brand awareness.
If you're currently working on a Facebook marketing campaign and you want to measure the impact of your keywords, try our Free Social Search. It's a great tool for marketers, PR professionals, small business owners, and corporate communication officers.
Laura - our epic designer - has created an infographic with a selection of our favorite Facebook stats - take a look, it’s awesome, and it has moving parts. Scroll on down to see the full list of Facebook statistics.
If you're a person crazy for stats and you get to the bottom of the list, there're 90 more for you to check out.
Grab a coffee and be gobsmacked!
General Facebook Stats
- There’re a staggering 300M+ photos uploaded per day.
- The total number of monthly active users is 2 BILLION!
- Facebook Messenger has more than 1.2 billion monthly users.
- Why is Facebook blue? Mark Zuckerberg is color blind. Okay, not really a stat, but kinda interesting.
- Facebook users break down into 53% female and 46% male – yay, we win!
- In every second, there are 20,000 people on Facebook.
- Facebook for Every Phone boasts 509,772,152 likes – winning the title, most popular page.
- Facebook Fan Pages are topped by Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid CF, Shakira, and FC Barcelona. Bit of a footy fest going on!
- The Facebook ‘like’ button has been pressed 1.13 trillion times.
- 55 million status updates are made every day.
- Facebook is currently available in 101 languages (including pirate), with over 300,000 users helping to translate.
- At a rough estimate, there are 81 million fake Facebook profiles.
- Al Pacino was the first face on Facebook. The original homepage showed a male face hidden by pixelated binary code.
- Co-founder of PayPal, Peter Thiel, was the first major investor. He recognized the site’s potential and invested $500,000, later selling his stake for $1B+.
User Facebook Stats
- On average, users spend 20 minutes a day on Facebook.
- Users generate 4 million likes every minute.
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day – 6 new profiles per second.
- Not just a US thang, there are 315M+ Facebook users in Europe – meaning marketers have the whole world as their target audience.
- Users have on average, 338 friends.
- US moms post 2.5 times more status updates, 3.5 times more photos, and 4.2 times more video that users without kids.
- 3% of users reached high school level, whilst 62% went on to attend university.
Marketing Best Practices
- 823 million users access Facebook via their mobile only. A responsive website being a priority.
- By mid-2016, businesses were streaming 6 times the amount of live video compared to January.
- 42% of customer service responses from brands, happen within one hour.
- 40% of Facebook users don’t like any brand pages - they can only be reached via paid ads.
- Facebook videos have increased 360% across everyone’s news feed.
- 100 MILLION HOURS of Facebook videos watched every single day, compared to YouTube at 650M.
- 5M+ businesses advertise on Facebook, with over 1M of those coming from emerging markets.
- On average, Facebook ads that target custom audiences have 14% lower cost-per-click and 64% lower cost-per-conversions than ads using interest-/category-based targeting.
Bonus Facebook stat! Facebook ads using customer audience targeting have conversion rates 387% higher than ads only using demographic targeting.
- Ad titles with four words and a 15 word description, out-perform others.
- 85% of videos watched on Facebook are viewed without sound.
Bonus Facebook stat! Captioned video ads can increase view time by about 12%
- Over 70M businesses use pages every month.
- On average, click through on ads is 0.9%. Add a CTA button and it increases to 2.85%.
- Posts containing images receive 2.3 times more engagement than those without.
- Publish posts on Thursday and Friday to receive the highest engagement.
- Videos are the most shared content on Facebook. They receive about 89.5 shares per vid, vastly more than photos or content-based posts.
- Publish between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. (EST) and you’ll receive about 88% more interactions on average, compared to posts published at other times.
Bonus Facebook stat! Ending posts with a question increases interactions by 162%. Seriously, that’s true?
- If you post 1-2 times per day, you’ll receive about 40% more engagement than 3-4 posts per day. Proving that ramming content down users’ throats, doesn’t work.
- Facebook Live has been used to broadcast at least 50 violent or criminal incidents.
- Facebook Live’s biggest event so far – New Year’s Eve 2016!
If you're the kind of person that counted these Facebook statistics - seriously, get a life - you'll notice that there are 41. I didn't fancy - 41 Amazing Facebook stats - and I couldn't find any I was prepared to delete. So, get over it.
- In 2016, Facebook added more emotions in the form of emoji - Love, Ha ha, Wow, Sad, and Angry. And the most popular emoji is? Love - accounting for over half of the reactions used throughout the year. The day with most love? Christmas 2016.
These Facebook stats are undoubtedly cool, and will provide inspiration for your own Facebook marketing campaigns. But, if you're looking for real-time, in-depth insights and analytics about your campaigns, audience, brand, and competitors - Talkwalker is what you need. Sign up for a free demo now, and we'll show you.
Of all the Facebook statistics, which is your favorite? Mine's gotta be Pacino.