In Part 1 of our social media analysis of the software industry we focused on Twitter. In Part 2 we looked to the two biggest social networks: Facebook and YouTube.
We examined the official Facebook and YouTube pages of the 20 largest software companies such as IBM, Oracle and Symantec and discovered how they compare on these social channels and what we can learn from what they do.
Here is what we found:
- Cisco and VMware were the most active companies on Facebook
- On Facebook, BMC Software outperformed industry giants like SAP and Salesforce despite having a fanbase 1/10th the size
- Cisco upload almost 4 videos per day on YouTube, three times their closest competitor
- IBM’s top 5 YouTube videos received over 1 million views
- Overall, on all social channels, IBM was the top performer